Thursday, June 28, 2012

Garrett Has Graduated and So Have I

My son graduated from Clifton High School!!!  I rejoice in the Lord for bringing me through Garrett's years in school and not shaking his head at me, saying, "O ye of little faith."  The truth that comforts my heart is the Lord is never disappointed in us.  To be disappointed in someone, means you expected a different outcome from them and they did something you didn't expect.  Since God knows everything about us, He cannot be disappointed.  I'm thankful that I wasn't disappointed in my son but ashamed that I was a little surprised.


In my humanity and feeble faith, I confess that there were times I didn't think my son would finish.  Isn't that awful?  He will admit it was a hard road, for both of us.  It doesn't change the fact, however, that I wanted to be the kind of mom that really believes in their children and pushes for them to keep going and knows deep in their hearts that they will make it!  Who wouldn't want a mom or dad like that?


Dear Son,


You did it and I am proud of you.  I didn't get you through school.  You did it.  No matter what it looked like, you reassured me that you would graduate, as you patiently answered all my nagging questions, because I really didn't believe you.  I suppose, I was the disappointment, when I look at it in retrospect.  Thanks for still loving me, even when you felt I didn't believe you or in you.  I sincerely apologize if I made you feel that way, at any time.  I thank God that with all our imperfections and mistakes, we can still have, what I think is, a great relationship.  It's the thing that matters the most, in life.  Not grades, homework, college or graduating.  It's the relationship. 


Today, I cheer you on to go out and do what you love!  Don't settle for a have to, when you can have the want to.  Be the best at all you do by jumping in and working hard, asking lots of questions and learning from your mistakes.  Move into your life, with God holding your hand and leaning on His wisdom.  Don't be afraid of people who think you can't do something or think you'd be better suited for "other" things in life.  Make great decisions and when you don't, admit it, make it right and keep on going. You have a big heart for love so be a man who loves the Lord and strive to be a protector and provider, one day.  You have everything you need to become all that you were created to be! 


You are truly, one hundred percent loved, no matter what and I ask God to remind me of the fact that He sings and rejoices over me, with all my mistakes and let downs.  He loves me without condition and I need to do the same with you.  Congratulations, Son!


I love you with all my heart and toes,


Mom

No comments: